Saturday, April 30, 2011

Painted Chairs


Earlier in the winter I painted a variety of wooden chairs, one with an upholstered seat.
They were all pretty much vintage, and the upholstered one, clearly an antique, probably late 19thC or early 20th C.


Actually this carved , below, one looks pretty old: maybe Art&Crafts, or "Bungalow" style, from the 20s or 30s.



Chairs are very fiddly; the rungs and spokes can drive you mad . They require a lot of patience and detailed observation.














These two are matching (well, sort of!) swivel chairs. Bar stool height.



















It was a lot of fun painting them, and they are beginning to find happy homes!
I have some pictures of the upholstry up next.

14 comments:

Katiejane said...

You completely blow me away with your work! I discovered you several months ago (last fall, actually)and you inspired me to try this myself. NOT SO EASY! You are so right about the rungs and spokes driving you nuts. I like doing this but I am nowhere as good at it as you are!

GaleriaZośki said...

Piękne z radością i sercem malowane. Pozdrawiam Zosia i zapraszam do mojej galerii zosi

drusilla cole said...

Hiya brilliant work. May I ask what paint you use? Thanks

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I want one!!!! Any chances in Buenos Aires?

Robbiegirl said...

I want to paint a woode,n birdhouse but not sure of what type of paint to use

HeARTworks said...

No words!!! Totally awesome! Have a blessed Christmas season from all the way over here in Manila! patsy

gdesubasti said...

she sells her work on ETSY ..... pameladesigns...look on top left of blog....

Unknown said...

Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future. See the link below for more info.


#look
www.ufgop.org

Anonymous said...

You inspire me and I feel like you understand the frustration I go through when painting chairs!!!! I can't leave those dang spindles alone in a PLAIN color....the chairs seem almost insulted if I think I might! And as I add more detail, I get almost at wit's end thinking where I'm going next!

Love your work and glad to see another painter has the same "details" issues I do. They take time!!!!!

I am Susie if Simply Susie Designs

yelthenymph said...

What kind of paint you use? Thank you for inspire me :-)

Unknown said...

I am so in awe of your talent! I purchased a wooden table and chairs for my grandbaby for Christmas, and your chairs have been my inspiration in painting. About 40 hours per chair, plus $30 in paint!!! But it is all looking incredible! Thank you so much for sharing your talent and ideas! You have my unending gratitude!

Padraigan said...

How is this related to Pam's art work ?

MarshaB said...

Your work is fabulous! Thanks for sharing it.